Designing Your Own Book Cover?
There are five things you need to know about Designing a Book Cover That Sells:
- The purpose of a book’s cover is to assure the prospective reader that the book is worth further consideration.
- The two ways to get a professional book cover are to hire a designer or do it yourself.
- Your cover must match your genre by including the same elements that genre readers are used to seeing from traditionally published genre novels.
- The key image must be simple. Single images work better than collages.
- Other visual cues like correct typography and layout subliminally assure readers that they are looking at a professional product.
Remember that your cover itself is not the product. Your book is the product. Your cover is the packaging. And it needs to assure potential readers that what’s inside is good and is what they want. That’s it.
Watch Our Book Design Video
Or watch a larger version on YouTube
List of Professional Cover Designers
A professional cover can increase books sales by over 300%.
So where do you find a professional designer?
The best way is to network with other indie authors who have professional covers and ask who their designer was.
If you are lazy, here are a few shortcuts. Note: Shelfbuzz is not affiliated with these designers and does not receive any sort of affiliate commission for listing them.
Click the names to visit each designer’s site.
|Blue Harvest Creative|
P.S. Smashwords, a popular indiepub distributor also compiles a list of cover design artists. We’ve browsed through the portfolios of the ‘designers’ on this list and were not impressed by their work. Stick to the professionals listed above.
Recommended for Improving Your Craft
Take Off Your Pants! – Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
Outlining Your Novel – Map Your Way to Success
How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method
Write Your Novel From The Middle – A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
Story Engineering – Larry Brooks
On Writing – A Memoir Of The Craft
Techniques of the Selling Writer
All of these featured books listed on one page at Amazon. Click here.
Looking for the Shelfbuzz Star?